Aussie beer beats UK to bag top prize at international competitionDecember 1st, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 1 (ANI): Australia has beaten Britain to get an international award for best beer.
Barons Black Wattle Original Ale came out topper as the most popular beer out of 50 nominations at the JD Wetherspoon international beer festival in Britain last month.
And the very next day, the Wallabies savaged England 28-14 at Twickenham.
“This is just another example of something the Poms invented yet have lost to the Aussies,”” The Daily Telegraph quoted Barons Brewing managing director Scott Garnett as saying.
The winning pint is described as an amber ale flavoured with native Australian roasted wattle seed, bringing out a unique flavour reminiscent of hazelnut and mocha, and with an alcohol content of 5.8 per cent.
Barons Brewing was one or four international contenders in the competition which was run in 717 JD Wetherspoon pubs across Britain and voted on by 8500 customers.
They got the invites to represent Australia after producing the first beer in the world made with native Australian spices.
“To win number one beer at such a huge festival is a great result for Barons and Australian beer,”” said Garnett.
And the beers laurels have attracted British importers keen to distribute Barons beers across the country.
Barons Brewing was founded in 2005 by Mr Garnett along with a pal from university, Richard Adamson, who is also head brewer. (ANI)
- Beer gets makeover in Oz with infusion of different flavours - Mar 01, 2011
- US brewer sorry, says it's renaming 'Kali-Ma' beer - May 15, 2012
- British firm brews world's strongest beer - Jul 23, 2010
- Homebrew Kits To Accelerate The Process Of Homebrewing - Jan 11, 2011
- Veggie chicken tikka potato chips! New flavours beckon - Jun 21, 2012
- Mexican brewery produces first gay beer - Feb 17, 2011
- Brit brewery unveils 'Windsor Knot' beer in honour of Royal wedding - Mar 30, 2011
- UK firm creates 'world's strongest beer' with 41 per cent ale - Feb 17, 2010
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space - Mar 01, 2011
- Brewdog 'End of History' Beer Packaged in Dead Animals - Jul 23, 2010
- Consumer awareness has revitalised UK's struggling brewery industry: Study - Jul 22, 2010
- Cobra creates Queen's portrait using just beer and spices - May 29, 2012
- US brewery angers Wiccan community with Witch's Wit label - Oct 29, 2010
- Now a beer brewed exclusively in White House - Mar 08, 2011
- Beer-brewing yeast found - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: adamson, alcohol content, amber ale, aussies, australian beer, beer barons, british importers, contenders, daily telegraph, garnett, hazelnut, head brewer, international beer festival, international competition, jd wetherspoon, laurels, poms, wallabies, wattle seed, wetherspoon pubs