Aung San Suu Kyi’s 64th birthday celebrated in New DelhiJune 19th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 19 (ANI): Activists in New Delhi gathered outside the Myanmar embassy to celebrate the 64th birthday of Myanmar’s jailed opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi on Friday.
The activists, who had brought a birthday cake with a ‘64′ candles on top, sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to the tune of a guitar.
Denouncing the Nobel laureate’s ongoing trial, the activists chanted slogans of ‘Long Live Aung San Suu Kyi’ and demanded her release.
“The reason we have organised the birthday in front of the embassy is that, she has been in detention for more than 13 years and 235 days and she spent most of her birthdays under house arrest. So we have come here to inform them, that the embassy also should conduct something in India, in Delhi,” said Kim, an activist.
Myanmar’s junta had started a trial against Suu Kyi for allegedly violating the terms of her long-standing house arrest.
Suu Kyi faces three to five years in prison if found guilty of breaking the terms of her house arrest by letting an American intruder stay for two days after he swam to her home in May.
Suu Kyi has been detained for more than 13 of the last 19 years.
Myanmar’s military government had refused to recognise a 1990 landslide election victory by the NLD. (ANI)
- LSR students hail Suu Kyi's much-awaited victory - Apr 02, 2012
- Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks by phone with Suu Kyi - Dec 18, 2010
- Suu Kyi released -- finally (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Myanmar democracy icon wants to sue junta - Sep 05, 2010
- Indian foreign secretary meets Suu Kyi - Jun 22, 2011
- Burmese state media threatens Suu Kyi with 'tragic end' over ending sanctions stance - Feb 15, 2011
- Military rulers demand apology from Suu Kyi's party for supporting western sanctions - Feb 20, 2011
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012
- Myanmar sets Nov 7 election date - Aug 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi wins landmark Myanmar by-polls (Roundup) - Apr 01, 2012
- Burmese pro-democracy activists protest against Suu Kyi's house arrest - Aug 12, 2009
- Aung San Suu Kyi takes oath in Myanmar parliament (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- UN chief urges immediate release of Suu Kyi - Jun 19, 2010
- Myanmar diaspora apprehensive yet hopeful after Suu Kyi's victory - Apr 02, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: 13 years, 19 years, activist, activists, aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, birthday cake, birthdays, happy birthday, house arrest, intruder, junta, landslide election victory, military government, myanmar embassy, New Delhi, nobel laureate, opposition leader, san suu kyi, slogans