ATTF top leader killed in police firing in TripuraAugust 18th, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by ANI
By Pinaki Das
Mohanpur, (West Tripura) Aug.18 (ANI):A top rung leader of the banned militant organization All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) was in killed this morning in encounter with the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) in Tripura.
The incident occurred at around 9.30 a.m.in remote Bargachiya village under Sidhai police station in West Tripura district.
Sub-division Police Officer (SDPO) Sadar range, Timir Das said based on information that a group 7 to 8 ATTF militant heavily with intention to launch some attack were hiding in the forest areas of Bargachia village, two teams of the 2nd battalion of TSR under the command of constable Bhaktabandhu Jamatia and constable Rajesh Debbarma laid an ambush and cordoned the area.
Later when the militants were passing the area, the TSR challenged them. In the ensuing 20- minute gunbattle, some of the militants fled from the area taking advantage of the thick jungle.
Later, a search revealed the bullet-ridden body of a militant andtwo AK 66 rifles.
Police found more blood marks suspect some more injured militants who went towards Bangladesh border.
Search operations are still continuing.
Police consider this as a big success and identified the deceased militant as ATTF Commander Nakbar Jamati (45) who was wanted in several cases through out the state. (ANI)
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Tripura trooper guns down five of family - Apr 28, 2012
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Manhunt continues for killer Tripura trooper - Apr 28, 2012
- Economic development tamed terrorism: Tripura Police chief - Jun 15, 2011
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Kolkata firing: Tripura trooper suspended - Jun 01, 2010
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- 13 ATTF militants from Bangladesh surrender in Tripura - Jul 02, 2010
- Linkages between northeast terrorists continue: Government - Oct 20, 2011
- Youths axe father in Tripura village - Apr 20, 2012
- Tripura trooper killed in gunfight with separatists - Nov 18, 2009
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Tripura tribal woman's death sparks ethnic tension - Feb 20, 2011