Atkinson to portray Fagin in West End musical Oliver!March 27th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by admin
London, March 27 (ANI): Rowan Atkinson has signed on to portray Fagin in the upcoming West End stage production of Oliver!, the musical that opens at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in December.
Expressing what it felt to bag the role, the 53-year-old Blackadder star said that it was like achieving a long-held ambition.
“In the 1980s I enjoyed doing a lot of West End theatre and since then have been distracted very much by Mr Bean and film-making,” the BBC quoted him as saying.
“I had been thinking for some time about returning to the stage and the idea of the role of Fagin, which has long intrigued me. Some time ago I even played the role in a school production (so it) seemed like too good an opportunity to miss,” he added.
Sir Cameron Mackintosh, who is producing the Lionel Bart musical, has revealed that as many as 100 actors will star in it.
He says that he had been holding on and off in discussions with Atkinson for many years.
“To me this idea has always promised the perfect marriage of a brilliant mercurial role with a brilliant mercurial comic actor,” he said.
The 1994 London Palladium production of Oliver! played 1,366 performances over three years, and made more than 40million pounds at the box office. (ANI)
- Oliver! to become biggest-selling show in West End history - Jan 11, 2009
- Mr.Bean enthrals fans with English humour - Jul 28, 2012
- Jacko steps out to catch West End musical Oliver minus lone glove - Mar 07, 2009
- Hey mom, it's Mr Bean up there! - Oct 29, 2011
- British royal family inspired Atkinson - Sep 25, 2011
- 'Johnny English Reborn' is a reboot indeed - Sep 24, 2011
- Nick Jonas to make West End debut with 'Les Miserables' - May 30, 2010
- `Mr Bean' discharged from hospital - Aug 07, 2011
- I'm too old for Mr.Bean now: Rowan Atkinson - Sep 07, 2011
- Amanda Holden to play Shrek's wife in stage version - Jul 31, 2010
- Whoopi Goldberg's return to 'Sister Act' onstage is a hit - Aug 19, 2010
- Hooper to direct 'Les Miserables' - Mar 26, 2011
- Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice to team up for new Oz musical - May 28, 2010
- Andrew Lloyd Webber no longer king of theatre in UK - Dec 30, 2009
- Whoopi Goldberg back in 'Sister Act' - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: 1980s, ambition, bbc, blackadder, box office, comic actor, fagin, lionel bart, london march, london palladium, mr bean, musical oliver, oliver the musical, perfect marriage, rowan atkinson, royal drury lane, sir cameron mackintosh, stage production, theatre royal drury lane, west end theatre