At least 20 dead, 90 injured in serial blasts in Delhi (Update)

September 13th, 2008 - 11:12 pm ICT by ANI  

Shivraj Patil

New Delhi , Sept 13 (ANI): At least twenty people have been reportedly killed and 50 injured in five serial bomb blasts in different places in the national capital.

The blasts took place in Karol Baghs Gaffar market, Connaught Place , Greater Kailash-I and Barakhamba Road in a span of 40-50 minutes. One bomb was defused near high-security area near India Gate.

Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the blasts.

The blasts at Ghaffar market in Karol Bagh, Connaught Place and Greater Kailash took place in a quick succession, police said.

The first blast took place at Ghaffar market at 6.10 p.m. in which at least 20 people were injured. They were rushed to nearby RML hospital. The explosive was kept near a car. The impact of the blast was so severe that an auto was thrown up several feet.

Immediately after that, two explosions took place in Connaught Place in which at least 10 people were injured.

Another explosion rocked M-Block market in Greater Kailash-I. The bombs were hidden in a dustbin.

The impact of the blasts in Karol Bagh could be gauged by the fact that an auto was thrown up and got caught in the electrical wires.

Senior Police officials including Joint Commissioner of Police Karnail Singh rushed to the spot in the central district and were assessing the situation.

Reportedly, Indian Mujhahideen has taken responsibility for the blasts.

In an email to media organisations, Indian Mujahideen, the terror outfit that had claimed responsibility for the July 26 Ahmedabad blasts, said it had carried out the serial blasts in Delhi . It threatened that there would be nine blasts in all.

Sarojini Nagar market, scene of the pre-Diwali eve blasts in 2005, in which more than 60 people were killed, has been evacuated.

Preliminary examination of the blast site said that low intensity ammonium nitrate tied to integrated circuit had been used in almost all the serial blasts. Timer devices were used in all the blasts.

Two persons have been detained by the police for questioning. The police said that a 12-year-old boy may be able to provide clues.

The Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil has said that people should maintain calm and social harmony and understanding.

“Let us jointly fight the tragedy,” he said. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |