Astra Microwave wins Rs. 570 million order from Israel’’s ELTA SystemsDecember 1st, 2008 - 5:31 pm ICT by ANI
Hyderabad, Dec 01 (ANI/Business Wire India): Astra Microwave Products Ltd, India’’s leading provider of microwave wireless technologies used in defense, space, and telecommunications, today announced that the company has won an order worth Rs. 570 million from Israel’’s ELTA Systems Ltd.
A group subsidiary of Israel Aerospace Industries, ELTA is a world leader in electromagnetic sensors-based advanced defense systems for radar, electronic warfare, and communications.
The order is for the supply of microwave wireless sub-systems for India’’s defense radar program. The contract is effective from November 2008 to mid-2010.
The order from ELTA is Astra’’s first contract under the offset obligations clause of India’’s Defence Procurement Policy, 2006. The offsets clause mandates that 30 per cent of all defense contracts worth Rs. three billion and above must be invested in the Indian defense industry by way of sourcing components, sharing technology, setting up training facilities, or using IT services.
The ELTA contract showcases Astra Microwave’’s global technological capabilities and scale of operations to meet the demand from obligations mandated by the Defence Procurement Policy, said B Malla Reddy, Managing Director, Astra Microwave.
Offset obligations are a significant opportunity for manufacturers and technology providers in the Indian defense space. Our proven technological expertise, infrastructure, and processes are a strong positive differentiator with global defense suppliers. Going forward, we are confident of forging many such relationships, Reddy added. (ANI)
- India further eases defence offsets norms (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- India further eases defence offsets norms - Apr 03, 2012
- 'Huge potential for India-Italy defence industry cooperation' - Nov 01, 2011
- French firm Altran expanding India operations - Apr 26, 2012
- Arms suppliers cashing on offset clause face challenges - Mar 17, 2012
- Nod for $1.9-bn defence procurement proposals (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Unlimited penalty for defaulting on defence offsets - Aug 02, 2012
- Nod for $4.5-bn military acquisitions (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- India to ease defence offsets norms to push industry growth (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Astra Microwave wins INR 138 million order from Antrix - Dec 17, 2008
- Defence sector to gain from $30 billion inflow - Aug 03, 2011
- French firm Altran bets on india for growth - Jul 12, 2012
- India to open more sectors for defence offsets commitments - Feb 09, 2011
- India set for last lap in $10.4-bn combat plane tender - Nov 03, 2011
- India clears $2.4 bn plan to buy cargo planes for IAF - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: aerospace industries, defence procurement, defense contracts, defense radar, defense space, differentiator, electromagnetic sensors, elta, first contract, global defense, malla, microwave products, procurement policy, radar electronic warfare, radar program, sharing technology, technological capabilities, technological expertise, technology providers, worth rs