Assam violence toll rises to 51October 8th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 8 (ANI): The death toll in Assams Udalguri and Darrang Districts, dogged by clashes between Bodos and illegal Bangladeshi migrants has risen to 51 with the recovery of 11 bodies today.
According to official sources, three bodies were recovered from the Panbari area of Darrang District, while two bodies each were found from Paschim Hahiligaon in the Tangla and Mazbat areas. Four bodies were recovered from Kalaigaon, Rajapukhuri and Jhargaon areas of Udalguri district.
The bodies were recovered from villages burnt down when search operations were launched for survivors and bodies.
Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has requested the State Assembly Speaker to immediately send an all party delegation to the affected districts to instill confidence among the people.
In a statement, Gogoi appealed to the people to maintain peace and calm and not to be provoked by the false and mischievous propaganda of the anti-social and anti-national forces.
An estimated 8,000 police, army and paramilitary troops were deployed in Udalguri, Darrang, Baska, and Chirang district of Assam after violence broke out on Friday.
Since Friday, more than 200 houses were set ablaze in about six villages.
According to reports, thousands of villagers have fled their homes and are now sheltering in makeshift relief camps set up by the police.
The provocation for the clashes was allegedly an attack on a group of Village Defence Party (VDP) volunteers belonging to the tribal Bodo community by members of a religious minority group. (ANI)
- Tension in Assam's Udalguri after youth's body found - Sep 06, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- Assam violence not Hindu-Muslim clash: Minister for Northeast (Interview) - Aug 20, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Chirang, five killed - Aug 25, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Assam's Kokrajhar, Dhubri - Aug 26, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- More paramilitary forces readied for Assam - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: assam, assembly speaker, bangladeshi migrants, baska, chief minister, clashes, death toll, delegation, gogoi, guwahati, minority group, paramilitary troops, propaganda, provocation, relief camps, religious minority, search operations, state assembly, survivors, tarun