Assam Rifles trooper at large after killing six colleagues in ManipurJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Jan 22 (IANS) A paramilitary Assam Rifles trooper who shot dead six of his colleagues in Manipur is at large and security forces have launched a massive hunt to apprehend him, officials said Thursday.”Efforts are on to nab him, but the trooper is still at large after he fled the camp with his service weapon (an assault rifle) late Wednesday,” Major Shamser Jung, a defence spokesman, told IANS.
The tribal trooper hailing from Nagaland ran amok after an altercation with an officer at Ukhrul, about 90 km from Manipur state capital Imphal.
“The trooper had a verbal argument with a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and suddenly he picked up his service weapon (an assault rifle) and started firing indiscriminately, killing the officer on the spot,” Jung said.
The irate trooper then went berserk and started firing on other colleagues who came out from their barracks hearing gunshots.
“The trooper sprayed bullets on a group of other colleagues, killing five more before fleeing the area with the weapon. We don’t really know what led to this or what the reasons were for the verbal argument,” the official said.
The Assam Rifles is a paramilitary force currently engaged in counter insurgency operations in Manipur, bordering Myanmar, with the state home to at least 19 rebel armies with demands ranging from independence to greater autonomy.
- Trooper kills six colleagues in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- CRPF trooper kills three colleagues, shoots himself - Oct 11, 2010
- Two CRPF troopers kill each other - Dec 06, 2010
- Soldier shoots colleagues before killing himself - Dec 12, 2010
- Soldier shoots two army officers in Manipur - Apr 28, 2010
- Militants abduct government engineers in Manipur - Nov 28, 2010
- Trooper guns down six colleagues in Manipur - Jan 22, 2009
- Seven separatists killed in Manipur encounter - Nov 01, 2009
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Nine Manipur militants killed in encounters (Lead) - Dec 24, 2009
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Choppers bring EVMs from remote districts to Imphal - Jan 29, 2012
- Officer dies in British n-submbarine shooting - Apr 09, 2011
- Insurgent shot dead in Manipur - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: altercation, assam rifles, assault rifle, autonomy, bullets, colleagues, commissioned officer, counter insurgency, defence spokesman, imphal, jco, massive hunt, myanmar, paramilitary force, rebel armies, security forces, service weapon, ukhrul, verbal argument