Assam put on high alert in wake of ULFA’s 12hr bandh callJune 25th, 2009 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati June 25 (ANI): Security has been beefed up in Assam, in wake of the 12 hour “Asom bandh” called by the United liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) today.
The banned ULFA has called for dawn-to-dusk bandh to protest against the alleged “fake encounter” by the security forces in which two of its cadres were killed on Sunday.
According to sources special security arrangements have been made and the State Government has directed normal functioning of all its offices.
Guwahati has been put on high alert, with intensive patrolling and checking of vehicles been carried out at sensitive places like airport, railway station, bus stations, and industrial areas.
Strict vigil has been put at the Kamakhya Temple where a four-day Ambubachi Mela is happening and lakhs of devotees are expected to partake in this mela.
However, the ULFA said it will not disturb the examinations of schools and colleges, water and milk supply, hospitals and medical services, electric supply and the press.
Security forces have launched intensive operations against the militants in this northeastern state in recent past, killing more than 20 ultra of National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) and few others belonging to the ULFA. (ANI)
- Tight security for ULFA's 12-hr bandh on Thursday in Assam - Jun 24, 2009
- Assam bandh turns violent, one killed - Aug 28, 2012
- ULFA opposes PM visit, calls shutdown - Apr 10, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Assam - May 30, 2012
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
- Bodo separatists planning terror strikes in Assam: police - Sep 20, 2010
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- ULFA, NDFB trying to create instability ahead of Assam polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Bodo militants, Ulfa linkman nabbed in Assam - Jul 10, 2012
- Normal life hit by ULFA's bandh call - Jun 25, 2009
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- Bodo militant faction warns against staged shootouts - May 31, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: airport railway station, bandh, bus stations, dawn to dusk, guwahati, industrial areas, intensive operations, kamakhya temple, mela, milk supply, national democratic front, northeastern state, security arrangements, sensitive places, special security, station bus, strict vigil, ulfa, united liberation front, united liberation front of assam