Assam limps back to normalcy, curfew relaxedOctober 9th, 2008 - 10:39 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 9 (ANI): The situation in the violence-affected Udalguri and Darrang districts of Assam is limping back to normalcy and curfew has been relaxed in some areas.
No fresh incident of violence has been reported in both the districts during the last three days. However, Army and security forces are keeping a close watch on the situation.
Over 54 people died in group clashes and police firing in both the districts during the last six days. And over 1, 00,000 violence affected people are still in relief camps set up by the State administration.
Meanwhile, curfew was relaxed in Dalgaon and Kharupetia police station areas of Darrang district for eight hours from 9 A.M. this morning due to improvement in the situation.
Similarly, in Udalguri town, it was relaxed for eight hours from 8.00 A.M. .
On Friday, an indefinite curfew was clamped in both the districts following large-scale group clashes between Bodos and a minority community.
Meanwhile, on Thursday Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi visited the violence-affected Udalguri and Darrang districts. (ANI)
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Situation has improved in Assam: Gogoi - Aug 01, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew further relaxed in Meghalaya - Jan 08, 2011
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- PM speaks to Assam CM, directs him to monitor situation - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Meghalaya announces compensation for riot victims - Jan 12, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Meghalaya - May 11, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Chidambaram visits Kokrajhar, Chirang; reviews security - Jul 30, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: army, assam, bodos, chief minister, clashes, close watch, curfew, eight hours, gogoi, minority community, normalcy, police station, relief camps, scale group, security forces, six days, state administration, station areas, tarun, violence