Assam journalists’ forum condemns health minister’s attitudeApril 14th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Apr.14 (ANI): The Journalists’ Forum, Assam has condemned the attitude of Himanta Biswa Sharma, the State health minister and the spokesman of Assam government, for maligning the image of media persons in Assam, and asked him to identify the journalist, who had submitted the mobile call list of an individual to the minister.
The forum expressed anguish that the particular journalist (who supplied the call list of Hiranya Saikia to Sharma) has compromised all values of journalism to take such a shameful act. He or she must be condemned in the strongest words.
Mentionable that Sharma addressed a press meet in Guwahati on April 11, which was telecast live by News Live (a Guwahati based satellite channel), and disclosed that he received a call list of Hiranya Saikia (a PCG member) from a journalist friend (to justify his political debate). It is shocking that a journalist can go for collecting someone’s call list, which is illegal in India, and even submit it to a minister ignoring the ethics of the profession.
And even if, for the sack of argument, the call list was collected by the minister from a competent authority with legal formalities, the forum demands a public apology from Sharma, as he tried his best to defame the integrity of the journalists.
A minister must not consider the media persons as his slaves, who may be used according to his choice. After all, a responsible minister like Sharma should behave with responsibilities and maintain minimum honour to the media. (ANI)
- Questions raised over media's role in Guwahati molestation - Jul 15, 2012
- Assam minister files defamation suit against daily, activist - Jun 28, 2010
- 18 Assam ministers sworn in - May 27, 2011
- Assam asked to be alert ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 21, 2010
- AIDS victim's kin to get money from state - Mar 17, 2012
- No further arrests yet in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
- Second phase polling underway in Assam (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Assam has a new helpline 'Sarathi 104' - Nov 07, 2010
- Will not be cowed down by ULFA threats: Gogoi - Feb 20, 2011
- Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Guwahati to have police commissioner system: Gogoi - Jul 17, 2012
- ULFA claims minister is ex-member - Dec 18, 2011
- Voting continues peacefully in Assam (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Gogoi says journalist's role in molestation case unethical - Jul 16, 2012
- PM's heart surgeon Panda injured in car accident (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: anguish, assam government, attitude, competent authority, ethics, health minister, honour, journalism, journalist friend, journalists, legal formalities, media persons, political debate, profession, public apology, responsible minister, satellite channel, slaves, spokesman, state health