Assam Government talks with ULFA welcomedJune 10th, 2010 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati (Assam), June 10 (ANI): The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) has welcomed the State Government’s offer to resume dialogue with the banned United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
AGP President Chandra Mohan Patowary said his party welcomes the Government’s offer to resume the dialogue process with the separatists.
Patowary, however, said the dialogue bid would not be successful without ULFA chief Paresh Baruah.
“We are in favour of discussion with the ULFA group. The government proposes to discuss it with ULFA minus Paresh Baruah if necessary stated by the Chief Minister of Assam,” said Patowary.
“So, we request that if Government will bring all the groups together, then I think problem will be solved forever,” he added.
Earlier on May 30, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi asked the ULFA to formally apprise the State Government of its decision on opening peace talks to end three decades of insurgency in the region.
He said the rebel group should tell the government what they want and the government would discuss their proposals in detail and do whatever was possible to get the talk process going. (ANI)
- I am the best chief minister of Assam: Tarun Gogoi - Apr 12, 2011
- Citizens' forum holds peace conclave in Assam - May 06, 2010
- ULFA claims minister is ex-member - Dec 18, 2011
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- First round of ULFA peace talks begins Thursday - Feb 09, 2011
- ULFA, government begin Assam peace talks (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2011
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Chidambaram says peace talks with ULFA are at a preliminary stage - Feb 10, 2011
- Doors to militant groups open: PM (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
- ULFA, Chidambaram hold peace talks, seven-member goup formed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 11, 2011
- ULFA leaders meet Manmohan Singh - Feb 14, 2011
- ULFA leaders to meet Manmohan Singh - Feb 14, 2011
- Alert in Assam over ULFA strike threat - Jul 22, 2011
- ULFA to begin peace talks with Centre - Feb 10, 2011
- Govt. awaiting a response from ULFA for talks: Pillai - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: agp, asom, assam government, chandra mohan, chief minister, dialogue, favour, gogoi, government talks, insurgency, paresh baruah, peace talks, proposals, rebel group, state government, tarun, three decades, ulfa, united liberation front