Assam flood scene continues to be grimJuly 8th, 2008 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, July 8 (ANI): The flood situation in Assam continues to remain grim today, even as the Central Water Commission has warned of the rising water level in the Brahmaputra in lower Assam.
The second spell of floods has so far affected a population of more than 5,00,000 people.
Dhemaji and Lakhimpur districts are the worst hit, with rail and road communication snapped following breach of banks by river Ranganadi.
Vast tracts of habitation and cropland have been inundated by rivers Gai and Jiadhol along with Ranganadi river.
The Brahmaputra has been flowing above the danger level at Dibrugarh, Nematighat in Jorhat and Dhubri as were River Dhansiri at Numaligarh in Golaghat, Jia Bharali at Sonitpur and Beki at Barpeta.
Meanwhile, the Central Water Commission has issued an official warning that the Brahmaputra may cross the danger level in Guwahati and in lower Assam areas following downpour in the river’’s upper reaches.
According to official sources, the Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger mark and rising alarmingly at Tezpur, the Burdihing at Khowang in Dibrugarh, Subansiri at Badatighat in Lakhimpur, Dikhow and Desang at Sibsagar, Puthimari at Kamrup and Sankosh at Golokgunj in Dhubri. (ANI)
- Over 1.5 lakh people affected as flood situation worsens in Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districts - Sep 14, 2012
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Assam floods: Central team to assess damage, toll 88 - Jul 05, 2012
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Over 300,00 stranded as Assam flood situation turns grim - Jul 04, 2009
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Disaster response teams deployed in flood-hit Assam - Jul 17, 2011
- Relief work and rehabilitation of Assam flood victims in full swing - Jul 18, 2009
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- One killed in firing by CISF - Mar 02, 2012
- Assam flood situation improves, but toll rises - Jul 06, 2012
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- One killed as flash floods hit three Assam districts - May 28, 2009
- Assam boat tragedy victims' kin to get Rs.1.5 lakh each - May 01, 2012
Tags: assam, banks, beki, brahmaputra, breach, central water, cropland, danger level, danger mark, downpour, flood scene, flood situation, floods, habitation, jorhat, rising water, rivers, tracts, water commission, water level