Assam clashes: Shoot-at-sight ordersOctober 4th, 2008 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 4 (ANI): The Assam Government has issued shoot-at-sight orders today in curfew-bound Udalguri District where at least seven persons were killed and more than 50 injured in clashes between two communities on Friday.
Inspector General of Assam Police (Law and Order) Bhaskarjyoti Mahanta said, “We have asked police, paramilitary and Army soldiers to shoot anybody found indulging in violent activities.”
On Friday, violence broke out between two communities in Udalguri District, about 100 kilometres north of Guwahati.
A police official, while requesting anonymity, said, The situation is tense with the violence spreading to new areas in the district even as five more bodies were recovered, all of them shot at with poison-tipped arrows and hit with crude sharp implements.
Over 50 people were wounded, some with bullets and more than 200 houses were set ablaze in about six villages, the official said.
According to reports, thousands of villagers have fled their homes and are now sheltering in makeshift relief camps set up by the police.
The provocation for the clashes was allegedly an attack on a group of Village Defence Party (VDP) volunteers belonging to the tribal Bodo community by members of a religious minority group on Friday. (ANI)
- Seven killed in Assam clashes, shoot at sight orders issued - Oct 04, 2008
- 25 killed in Assam as violence escalates - Oct 05, 2008
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 16 killed in Assam clashes, 10,000 displaced - Oct 05, 2008
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Normalcy returns to violence-hit Assam districts - Oct 07, 2008
- Tension in Assam's Udalguri after youth's body found - Sep 06, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam ministers in Kokrajhar, 19 dead (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: anonymity, army soldiers, arrows, assam government, assam police, bullets, clashes, inspector general, kilometres, law and order, minority group, police law, police official, provocation, relief camps, religious minority, seven persons, sharp implements, violent activities, volunteers