Assam blasts: Death toll touches 61, over 300 injuredOctober 30th, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by ANI
By Peter Alex Todd
Guwahati, Oct 30 (ANI): The death toll in the Assam serial blast that rocked different parts of the state has touched 61 and over 300 have been injured.
Nine blasts rocked Assam this morning in Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Barpeta and Bongaigaon.
The first blast took place at around 11.15 a.m.
Three blasts took place in Guwahati - at Fancy Bazzar, the Chief Judicial Magistrates (CJM) Court and in Dispur. Death toll in Guwahati is 31.
Moreover, there were three blasts in Kokrajhar District, two in Barpeta District and one in Bongaigaon District.
The death toll in Kokrajhar is 19, in Barpeta its 11 and in Bogaigaon no casualties have been reported.
Khagen, a blast victim, said, “I have seen this situation for the first time in my life. Every thing was scary after the blast and I can still see the dead bodies. Also I am unable to hear properly.
“Those people (culprits) should be hanged in a tree and be handed to the public instead of the police.
Our country is going down day by day and we are ourselves responsible for it, said an eye-witness, adding, Two Assamese youths were selling vegetables here which they wont be doing anymore.”
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has strongly condemned the serial blasts in Assam and sanctioned an ex-gratia from the Prime Ministers National Relief Fund to the tune of Rs.1lakh each to the next of kin of the persons deceased in the serial bomb blasts in Assam. And Rs.50, 000 has been sanctioned to those seriously injured in the blasts.
Recently, there have been serial blasts in Jaipur, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, and in Tripura.
- Don't spare Assam's Kasab, say victims of 2008 blasts - Oct 29, 2010
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- NDFB chief is Assam's 'Kasab', say angry blast victims - May 02, 2010
- Where is our compensation, kin of Assam blast victims ask PM - Oct 30, 2009
- NDFB chief Daimary sent to 12 days police custody - May 02, 2010
- Assam terror toll rises to 45 - Oct 30, 2008
- 11 feared dead, 50 injured in Assam serial blasts - Oct 30, 2008
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam boat tragedy victims' kin to get Rs.1.5 lakh each - May 01, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam toll is 12, curfew continues - Jul 22, 2012
- Daimary confesses to serial explosions in Assam - May 03, 2010
Tags: assam, bangalore, blast victim, bomb blasts, culprits, dead bodies, death toll, dr manmohan singh, ex gratia, eye witness, guwahati, judicial magistrates, manmohan, manmohan singh, oct 30, prime ministers national relief fund, rs 50, serial blasts, three blasts, time in my life