Arvind Kejriwal appeals for complete transparency in drafting of Lokpal BillMay 1st, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 1(ANI): Social activist and member of Lokpal Bill drafting committee, Arvind Kejriwal, on Sunday appealed for complete transparency in the Bill drafting.
He was speaking on the sidelines of a rally organized by a non-governmental organisation, India Against Corruption (IAC) in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
In a bid to gather public support and suggestions in the draft of the anti-corruption law, the voluntary group is organizing nationwide rallies at various places in the country.
He said the five-member representatives of the civil society are trying their best to bring transparency in the drafting process.
“We do not want in this joint committee that we 10 members would sit inside the room and come up with a law. We rather wish that the whole process should be transparent. We have requested for a videography of the meeting, so that the public get to know what was going on inside,” Kejriwal said.
He also ensured that the people of India would succeed in their campaign against corruption.
“We are small people. We do not have money or man-power. We are small people. We have only one thing, our truth and honesty. We have confidence that at the end only truth wins,” he said.
The Central government had issued a notification on April 9 to appoint a drafting committee of the Bill after five days of indefinite hunger strike by veteran social activist Anna Hazare.
The panel consists of 10 members, five each from the government and the civil society, which includes Hazare, Kejriwal, lawyers Shanti and Prashant Bhushan and former Supreme Court judge Santosh Hegde.
The first sitting of the draft panel of the Bill took place in New Delhi on April 16. (ANI)
- Civil society activists to declare assets - Apr 15, 2011
- No differences over names of committee members: Hazare - Apr 10, 2011
- No nepotism in Lokpal panel, says Hazare as Ramdev retracts (Lead) - Apr 10, 2011
- No nepotism in Lokpal Bill panel, says Hazare - Apr 10, 2011
- Ramdev retracts, says also wanted Kiran Bedi on panel - Apr 10, 2011
- Will be on Lokpal committee with open mind: Khurshid - Apr 13, 2011
- Hazare takes a dig at PM, Sibal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Curb rampant corruption, appoint Lokayukta: Agnivesh to Mayawati - May 01, 2011
- Hazare arrives in Bangalore on two-day visit - May 27, 2011
- Hegde is not resigning: Kejriwal - Apr 23, 2011
- None of us are going to resign: Arvind Kejriwal (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- 'Action against Ramdev reminder of emergency' - Jun 05, 2011
- No rift with Anna's team, will attend Lokpal meeting: Hegde (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Hegde not to resign, members to stay focused (Third Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Lokpal panel meets amid differences (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: arvind kejriwal, bhushan, central government, drafting committee, former supreme court judge, governmental organisation, indefinite hunger strike, joint committee, man power, member representatives, prashant, santosh, shanti, sidelines, social activist, supreme court judge, truth and honesty, uttar pradesh, videography, voluntary group