Artificial jewellery popular in SrinagarOctober 6th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct. 6 (ANI): People in Srinagar are buying artificial jewellery instead of gold jewellery as it gives them more variety and is cheaper.
“The big sets that you buy you just dump the things in the lockers. These things you buy, you wear it and throw it. Even if you lose it nobody minds. These days it’s very difficult to differentiate between the original jewellery and artificial jewellery,” said Reena Sharma, a customer.
The demand for gold normally rises between August and October when consumers buy gold in huge quantity for auspicious occasions to celebrate major Hindu festivals like Dussehra, Diwali and Dhanteras.
But as the gold prices are on a rise, buyers resort to artificial jewellery.
“Today if you go to buy gold, it costs rupees 18,000 per 10 grams. There is a major trend of artificial jewellery because of many varieties available. The gold has become very costly so people prefer artificial jewellery,” said Shravan Puri, owner of a jewellery showroom.
India is the biggest buyer of gold in the world.
According to industrial survey, India has about 100,000 workshops supplying gold jewellery to nearly 300,000 retail outlets, (ANI)
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Gold prices dip an added draw to Akshaya Tritiya buyers (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Gold buyers throng shops for auspicious buys ahead of Diwali - Oct 16, 2009
- Gold sales up on Dhanteras despite high prices - Oct 24, 2011
- On Dhanteras, it's gold that glitters in Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- Diwali glitter in Mumbai despite inflation! - Oct 24, 2011
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Inviting platforms for extra Diwali bucks - Oct 23, 2011
- India again saw gold rush despite robust stock markets (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Kolkata residents rush to buy gold ahead of Dhanteras - Oct 29, 2010
- Crowded markets, traffic jams on Dhanteras - Oct 24, 2011
- High gold prices fail to deter buyers ahead of festive season - Oct 14, 2010
- On Dhanteras day, Patna buys 2,000 shiny new cars - Nov 03, 2010
- Delhiites throng markets on Dhanteras - Nov 03, 2010