Army tightens security around international border in PoonchMarch 19th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by ANI
By Tahir Nadeem Khan
Jammu, Mar 19 (ANI): The Indian Army has tightened security around the international border in Jammu and Kashmir amid reports of infiltration attempts by the militants.
Security has been upgraded in the high-altitude areas like Doda Shahpur sector and Sawjian sector.
Army officials are maintaining a tight vigil along the border despite the harsh weather conditions.
“Because of the terrain, it becomes very difficult to move around. There is snow till the waist. Though it is very difficult to walk around, these hardships are nothing new to us. We have done it before and we can overcome them now as well. We have taken all the precautions that need to be taken,” said Major Ajay Kumar Pathania.
The villages, which are along the Line of Control (LOC), are also supporting the Indian army in their security efforts.
“It (the Sawjian sector) is a gateway to India and a doorway to Jammu and Kashmir. Here we stay with the army for 24 hours. We always look into the problems of the army and act in accordance with them. Today we sleep in peace because the army constantly patrols around here,” said Mohammad Zaman, head of Sawjian village.
Jammu and Kashmir, which has been affected by militancy for the last two decades, has seen over 47,000 people dead so far. (ANI)
- BSF foils infiltration bid in Pargwal sector of Akhnoor near Jammu - Jan 09, 2010
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire, Indian soldier injured - Jan 13, 2011
- Pak intruder killed near R.S.Pura border in Jammu - Jan 17, 2010
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch - Sep 13, 2012
- 400 militants operating in J-K: Lt. Gen. Choudhary - Feb 15, 2011
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- Over 500 militants ready to infiltrate from Pirpanjal range: Lt. General Rameshwar Rai - Oct 08, 2010
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- Security forces seize huge cache of arms in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 18, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Two militants killed near Jammu - Nov 28, 2010
- Pakistani firing seeks to push terrorists into Kashmir - Aug 23, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Oct 09, 2011
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
Tags: ajay kumar, army officials, doorway, gateway to india, hardships, harsh weather conditions, high altitude, indian army, infiltration, international border, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, loc, militancy, mohammad zaman, nadeem khan, poonch, security efforts, tahir, vigil