Army standoff in Kashmir blown out of proportion: PMAugust 9th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The standoff between officers and soldiers of an armoured unit of the army in Jammu and Kashmir was being “blown out of proportion”, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Thursday, asking Rajya Sabha members not to discuss it.
The prime minister, who is the leader of the upper house, intervened after Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury said the defence minister should make a reply as the issue was of a “mutiny in the army”.
“The house must not have discussion on it, it is a small incident being blown out of proportion,” the prime minister said.
“It is not good for the morale of the army,” he added.
The standoff reportedly took place after a soldier of the 16th Cavalry of the army committed suicide in Jammu and Kashmir’s Samba sector Wednesday morning.
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- MPs seek government explanation in Bofors issue (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- No public debate on defence issues, say government and opposition (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Lokpal debate in first part of budget session: Bansal - Mar 14, 2012
- Relatives suspect foul play in army jawan's suicide - Aug 10, 2012
- PM's all-party meet fails to break Lokpal jam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Lokayukta out of Lokpal, bill in Rajya Sabha May 21 - May 15, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool bailout government on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Third Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Armed forces' grievances need urgent attention (Comment) - Aug 12, 2012
- Concerned over clashes within, Indian Army 'back to basics' - Sep 19, 2012
- Rethink n-liability bill, Left urges government - Aug 30, 2010
- Rajya Sabha members raise concern over Jharkhand cash seizure - Mar 30, 2012
- New Rajya Sabha members take oath - Aug 19, 2011
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool help government score in Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,