Army plants 5,000 saplings “Go Green” afforestation drive in GangtokAugust 11th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by ANI
By Tashi Pradhan
Gangtok (Sikkim), Aug. 11 (ANI): In keeping with its glorious tradition of “Cleaning through Greening” the army launched an afforestation drive in the new military station at Gangtok recently.
A total of 5,000 saplings of different varieties were planted as part of the drive.
Sikkim Governor B.P Singh and the first lady Karuna Singh were the chief guests on the occasion, in which they planted a sapling.
They were followed by Major General Sanjiv Chachra, and their families.
Besides, students of the army school in Gangtok too participated in the drive with great zeal and enthusiasm along with the teachers.
Keeping in view with the mission to greening the station wherever army is deployed, the army feels the station is the best place due to its heavy rains.
“The army generally keeps the areas of its deployment green, so also in Gangtok. We want to involve everybody in greening the station, said Clement Samuel, Deputy G.O.C 17 mountain division, Station commander.
“We ” ve embarked on this mission in close association with the State forest Department and have planted about 5,000 of 400 varieties of saplings, he added. (ANI)
- Indian Army launches green drive in Sikkim - Sep 24, 2009
- Dikshit launches plantation drive in NDMC area - Sep 01, 2012
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
- One injured, seven missing in Bengal accident - Jun 14, 2012
- Delhi Metro to plant 10,000 saplings - Jul 22, 2011
- Ex-servicemen on mission to green Himachal hills - Aug 06, 2010
- Quake-hit Sikkim puts toll at 23, surveys horror - Sep 19, 2011
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Floriculture business a boon for the local florist in Sikkim - Oct 06, 2009
- Army launches afforestation operation to re-green border areas of Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 05, 2010
- Haryana's green drive: planting 5 crore saplings - Jun 11, 2010
- Spiritual group plants 35 lakh trees - May 18, 2012
- Sikkim quake toll rises to 40 - Sep 20, 2011
- Satellites to help Beijing expose fake afforestation - Aug 21, 2012
- Army fans out for relief operations - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: army school, b p singh, deployment, first lady, gangtok sikkim, glorious tradition, heavy rains, military station, plants, sanjiv, sapling, state forest department, station commander, tashi, zeal