Army men found guilty of killing civilians in Kashmir (Lead)March 20th, 2009 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) A court of inquiry Friday found three Indian Army personnel guilty of killing civilians in Jammu and Kashmir last month and court martial proceedings will be initiated against them soon, an official said here.
The court of inquiry was conducted by a brigadier of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps.
“One JCO (Junior Commissioned Officer) and two jawans (soldiers) have been held guilty of not exercising adequate command and control and also not exercising restraint in using their weapons,” an army official said.
“Disciplinary action has been ordered against them. Court martial proceedings will begin soon. A jail term is also likely, depending on the charges slapped against them,” the official added.
Widespread protests erupted across the Kashmir Valley following the Feb 21 killing of two civilians near north Kashmir’s Sopore town by troops of counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles, following which the government had ordered a magisterial probe.
The victims were identified as Mohammed Amin Tantray and Firdous Ahmed Khwaja. They were said to be returning with a group of youth from a festival at a Sufi shrine in the area.
“The punishment will show the army’s zero tolerance of human rights violations,” the official added.
The report of the court of inquiry comes three days after Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met Defence Minister A.K. Antony and discussed with him the killing of civilians in the allegedly “unprovoked firing” by army personnel.
Antony then asked the Indian Army to submit an inquiry report within 48 hours. Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor Thursday assured strict disciplinary action against those found guilty.
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
- Court martial of army's former military secretary complete - Dec 02, 2011
- Centre's nod needed for trial of armed forces men: SC - May 01, 2012
- Illegal weapons' sale: 27 army officers in the dock - Jul 07, 2011
- Sukna scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service - Dec 03, 2011
- Centre's nod needed for trial of errant armymen: SC (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Abdullah meets Antony over civilian killings in Kashmir - Mar 17, 2009
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
- Land scam: Army set to court martial Lt. Gen. Avadesh Prakash - May 19, 2011
- Don't turn to us for everything, apex court tells government - Apr 03, 2012
- Antony recommends court martial of top army general (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: army chief, army men, army official, army personnel, chief general, commissioned officer, counter insurgency, deepak kapoor, defence minister, human rights violations, indian army, inquiry report, jail term, jammu and kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, martial proceedings, north kashmir, rashtriya rifles, zero tolerance