Army Major, four militants killed in J-K gunbattleMarch 22nd, 2009 - 1:00 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Mar 22 (ANI): Three Army personnel, a Major and four militants have been killed in an encounter at Hafrada forest in the Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
According to sources, the gunbattle, which is continuing since Friday, has also injured a soldier.
On receiving information of the militant infiltration in the forest area, the Army, assisted by the local police acted promptly and launched a gunbattle in which Major Mehak and three other jawans were killed, while Havildar Rakesh Kumar was injured, sources said.
Four militants have also been killed so far in the gunfight, reports said.
There are reports that the Army is fighting with almost a dozen militants, still active in the area.
Earlier, the Indian Army had asked for a flag meeting after Pakistani Army indulged in a major breach of ceasefire, and fired between 1500 to 2000 rounds at Indian posts in the Kamalkote area of the Uri sector between 10:00 p.m. on Friday night and 3:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.
Pakistan authorities are yet to respond.
India and Pakistan had declared a ceasefire on the borders of the two countries in November 2003. (ANI)
- India seeks flag meeting with Pak over indiscriminate firing in Uri - Mar 21, 2009
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Major, two jawans injured in encounter in Poonch - Jul 16, 2010
- 5 militants, army officer killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 28, 2011
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfights - Mar 28, 2012
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 28, 2011
- Seven guerrillas, soldier killed in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2010
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled, six guerrillas killed - Aug 30, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled by security forces in Jammu - May 01, 2010
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: army personnel, borders, breach, ceasefire, encounter, forest area, friday night, gunbattle, india and pakistan, indian army, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mehak, militants, pakistani army, rakesh kumar, saturday morning, soldier, srinagar