Army Major among five killed in J&K encounterJune 8th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 8 (ANI): Three militants and two security personnel, including an army major were killed on Monday as security forces foiled a major infiltration bid and intensified anti-militant drive near the LoC in Kupwara, Jammu and Kasmir.
“The gunbattle took place when Army confronted a group of heavily-armed militants at Gulab Post, 130 km from here, when they were attempting to sneak into the valley from across the border,” said Uttam Chand, Superintendent of Police, Kupwara.
Acting on specific information about presence of militants in area falling under Hatmullah, a massive search operation was launched to avoid any possible attempt to sneak into the valley.
“As the search operation was in progress, the heavily armed militants opened fire in an attempt to escape and in the ensuing gunbattle, three militants and two army personnel including a major were killed,” the senior officer said.
Meanwhile, curfew was imposed in Srinagar to foil a demonstration called by the separatists. (ANI)
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled, four militants killed - Jul 03, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- 9 militants killed during six encounters in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 05, 2009
- Two infiltrators killed in Kashmir - Oct 30, 2009
- Infiltration bid foiled by security forces in Jammu - May 01, 2010
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Terrorist camps operating in Pakistan-held Kashmir: Indian Army - May 09, 2011
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 28, 2011
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Army foils infiltration bid, arrests one - Feb 23, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled, two militants killed in Kupwara - Oct 30, 2009
- Army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Jan 04, 2012