Army foils militants’ plan to target Amarnath pilgrimsJune 22nd, 2009 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 22 (ANI): Army on Monday foiled militants bid to target the Amarnath yatra by defusing an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
According to sources, militants had planted the high intensity IED in Panthal area to target a convoy of the Amarnath Yatra.
The cavalcade of 53 vehicles, which is carrying 1,703 pilgrims, was resumed after one hour-long halt at Panthal, 155 kms from Jammu.
With today’s batch, a total of 7,793 pilgrims have left Jammu for the Shrine since the beginning of the Yatra on June 15.
The yatra remained suspended for three days due to bad weather prevailing in Kashmir valley before resuming on June 19. (ANI)
- CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Jul 12, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Fresh batch of 2083 pilgrims leave for Amarnath - Jul 19, 2010
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra suspended temporarily at Udhampur - Jun 30, 2010
- Six Amarnath pilgrims killed in road accident - Jul 03, 2010
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- First batch of pilgrims to reach Amarnath Wednesday - Jun 29, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Fresh batch of 82,000 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 07, 2010
- Army defuses 5 kg bomb on Kashmir roadside - Nov 17, 2011