Army commander visits forward areas on LoCMay 7th, 2012 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 7 (IANS) The General-Officer-Commanding in Chief (GOC in C) of Northern Command Lt Gen K.T. Parnaik Monday visited forward areas along the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan to review security and the ground situation, an officer here said.
Gen Parnaik was accompanied by senior Army officers of the Kashmir Valley and visited troops in the Kupwara sector, according to an army spokesperson.
He was briefed on the operational preparedness and the situation along the LoC by the officers. Gen. Parnaik thereafter interacted with troops deployed on the Line of Control in high altitude areas.
This visit assumes importance in view of the summer setting in. The civil secretariat moves to the summer capital Srinagar after it winter sojourn in Jammu. Tourists throng the Kashmir Valley during summer and pilgrims arrive for the annual Amarnath pilgrimage.
The snow melts in summer on the high mountainous passes, opening up the infiltration routes for militants from Pakistan.
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Northern army commander visits India-China border, Siachen - Mar 10, 2011
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Army chief on first visit to Ladakh - Aug 17, 2012
- Indian Army exploring entire gamut of future conflict scenarios - Mar 27, 2011
- Terrorist camps operating in Pakistan-held Kashmir: Indian Army - May 09, 2011
- No infiltration from across LoC this year: Indian Army - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: army commander, army officers, army spokesperson, civil secretariat, goc, ground situation, infiltration, jammu, kashmir, kashmir valley, loc, lt, militants, pilgrimage, pilgrims, preparedness, secretariat, srinagar, tourists, winter sojourn