Army chief visits Northern CommandMay 23rd, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 23 (IANS) Ahead of his retirement this month, Indian Army Chief Gen. V.K. Singh Wednesday lauded the “selfless sacrifices” by troops, especially in Jammu and Kashmir,
He said this while paying a farewell visit to the Northern Command headquarters in Udhampur in the state.
Gen. Singh was accompanied by his wife Bharti Singh, who is president of the Family Welfare Organisation, Northern Command spokesperson Lt. Col. Rajesh Kalia said.
Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, chief of the Northern Command, briefed the army chief about the latest situation along the border with Pakistan and in the hinterland, an army source said.
Col Kalia said the two discussed “security-related issues”.
“In his address, the army chief appreciated the selfless sacrifices made by troops in ensuring the sanctity of our frontiers and in facilitating the return of normalcy in the state,” he said.
Gen. Singh has been a frequent visitor to the state. He has opposed the lifting of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act from Jammu and Kashmir, a demand repeatedly made by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Army chief reviews Kashmir border security - Feb 09, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian Army vice chief reviews operational preparedness on borders - Oct 19, 2011
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- Army chief witnesses exercise in Ladakh - Apr 20, 2011
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- War surgery workshop held - Sep 09, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
Tags: armed forces, bharti, chief minister, command headquarters, family welfare, farewell, frequent visitor, frontiers, hinterland, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kalia, kashmir, normalcy, rajesh, sanctity, selfless sacrifices, spokesperson, udhampur, welfare organisation