Armed Forces facing shortage of 13,830 officersOctober 20th, 2008 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Oct 20 (ANI): Defence Minister A K Antony today said in the Lok Sabha that the Armed Forces are facing a shortage of 13,830 officers.
There is a shortage of 11,119 officers in Army, 1,359 officers in Navy and 1,352 officers in Air Force. Armed Forces have 53,849 officers against a sanctioned strength of 67, 679, Antony said.
The Defence Minister listed the various steps taken up to tackle the shortfall of officers by the government.
These steps include extension of Short Service Commission (SSC) officers, implementation of both phases of A V Singh Committee report and implementation of the Sixth Central Pay Commission (CPC) report, he added.
Tenure of SSC officers has been increased to 14 years; Phase 1 of A V Singh committee was implemented earlier, which resulted in upgrade of 750 Lieutenant-Colonel level posts to the Colonel level.
Phase 2 of the report has also been cleared for implementation creating or upgrading 1,896 additional posts in ranks of Colonel, Brigadier, Major-General and Lieutenant-General and equivalents in other two services, the Defence Minister said.
Antony said implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations will help in arresting shortfall of officers in the Armed Forces. (ANI)
- Armed forces facing a shortage of 15,004 officers, says Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- Shortage of 14,448 officers in Army, Navy and Air Force - Mar 10, 2010
- Indian Army short of 12,500 officers: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- No discernible decreasing trend in number of officers in Army: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Armed forces short of 13,380 officers: Antony - Oct 20, 2008
- Armed forces faces shortage of nearly 15000 officers - Jul 15, 2009
- Armed forces short of 14,299 officers: Antony - Jul 15, 2009
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- Armed forces finally get their own pay panel (Lead) - Jan 01, 2009
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Army wants more short service officers - Jan 26, 2010
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Armed forces' suggestions sought on separate pay panel - Jan 07, 2009
- India well prepared in case of war: Antony (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: air force, antony, armed forces, brigadier, commission recommendations, committee report, cpc, defence minister, equivalents, implementation, lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, phase 1, phase 2, shortfall, sixth central pay commission, ssc, tenure