Armed forces faces shortage of nearly 15000 officersJuly 15th, 2009 - 8:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 15 (ANI): The Indian Armed Forces is facing an acute shortage of nearly 15000 officers, specially at the level of captain, major and Lt Colonel who actually lead the soldiers in the field.
Defense Minister A. K. Antony in a written reply to Lalit Kishore Chaturvedi and Dr. Gyan Prakash Pilania in the Rajya Sabha today disclosed that, the Army is in need of 11,387officers, Navy required 1512 and the Air Force needs 1400 officers.
Antony also informed members that during the last five years, 4300 officers of Army, 1177 officers of Air Force and 1096 officers of Navy had sought premature retirement or had resigned for various reasons.
Antony said the Ministry is taking various steps to motivate personnel to continue in service and to also attract talented youths to join the Armed Forces.
All officers, including those in Short Service Commission (SSC) are now eligible to hold substantive rank of Captain, Major and Lieutenant Colonel after 2, 6 and 13 years of service respectively. The tenure of SSC officers has also been increased from 10 years to 14 years Antony informed the house.
A total of 750 posts of Lt. Colonel have been upgraded to Colonel towards implementation of A.V. Singh Committee Report (Phase-I). Further, 1896 additional posts in the ranks of Colonel, Brigadier, Major General and Lieutenant General and their equivalent in the other two Services have been upgraded towards implementation of A.V. Singh Committee Report (Phase-II).
The implementation of the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission with substantial improvements, in the pay structure of officers of Armed Forces will also go a long way in making the services more attractive, Antony said. (ANI)
- Armed forces short of 14,299 officers: Antony - Jul 15, 2009
- Shortage of 14,448 officers in Army, Navy and Air Force - Mar 10, 2010
- Armed forces facing a shortage of 15,004 officers, says Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- Indian Army short of 12,500 officers: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Armed Forces facing shortage of 13,830 officers - Oct 20, 2008
- No discernible decreasing trend in number of officers in Army: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Cabinet approves upgradation of 1,896 posts in armed forces - Oct 03, 2008
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- Armed forces short of 13,380 officers: Antony - Oct 20, 2008
- Cabinet approves proposal of cadre restructuring of Military Nursing Services - Aug 26, 2010
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Over 3,000 policemen promoted in Dubai - Jun 07, 2012
- IAF's air bases modernisation to kick start this month - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: acute shortage, antony, brigadier, captain major, chaturvedi, committee report, defense minister, gyan prakash, indian armed forces, kishore, lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general, lt colonel, pay structure, premature retirement, rajya sabha, report phase, ssc, substantial improvements, substantive rank