Arjun Singh to lay foundation stone of IIT Ropar todayFebruary 24th, 2009 - 11:11 am ICT by ANI
Ropar (Punjab), Feb 24 (ANI): Union Minister of Human Resource Development Arjun Singh will lay the foundation stone of the campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar, in Punjab today.
This new IIT is part of the eight new IITs that have been established in the country by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development during XIth Plan.
The State Government has offered 513 acres of land at Ropar, which is about 40 km. from Chandigarh and has excellent road and railway connectivity. The academic session of IIT, Ropar, is already in progress from 2008-09 from its Mentor institution, which is IIT, Delhi. There are about 110 students in B.Tech. courses in 3 branches of engineering.
The Central Government in its Eleventh Plan has given a major thrust to education. The Central Government has taken several initiatives in respect of new institution building.
These include setting up of 30 new Central Universities, Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, eight new IITs, seven new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), five new Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs), two new Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPAs), 10 new National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and 20 new IIITs. A very high priority has been accorded to the education sector and a ten fold increase has been provided in the budgetary outlays for the higher education during the XIth Plan as compared to Xth Plan. (ANI)
- Arjun Singh to lay foundation stone of IIT, Indore today - Feb 17, 2009
- Arjun Singh to lay foundation stone of IIT, Bhubaneswar today - Feb 12, 2009
- Parliament passes IIT bill - Apr 30, 2012
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- The new IIT exam pattern (Factfile) - Jun 28, 2012
- Northeast India's first IIIT coming up in Tripura - Jun 08, 2012
- Common engineering entrance in favour of students, says Sibal - Jun 12, 2012
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Arjun Singh appeals to States to raise budgetary support for education - Feb 10, 2009
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- Tripura to have IIIT in Bodhjungnagar - Jul 03, 2012
- Focus on graduation alone affects research: Sibal - May 25, 2011
- Single test for engineering courses from 2013 - May 28, 2012
Tags: academic session, arjun singh, b tech, education sector, foundation stone, high priority, human resource development, iit delhi, indian institute of technology, indian institutes of management, indira gandhi, institutes of technology, ministry of human resource, ministry of human resource development, national institutes of technology, new institution, nits, outlays, union minister, union ministry