Aricept drug may help treat mild memory lossJuly 31st, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 31 (ANI): Researchers from University of California - Los Angeles have found that drug Aricept, used to treat Alzheimer’’s symptoms, can help in mild memory loss also.
They recruited a small sample of adults with mild age-related memory loss and randomly assigned them a daily placebo or Aricept.
Both groups underwent Positron emission technology (PET) brain scans before and after 18 months of treatment.
The research team found that people, who were given Aricept showed an increased rate of metabolism and looked more normal than the brains of those who took the placebo.
Moreover, both the groups scored the same on memory tests, however, implying that PET scans may be more sensitive than neuropsychological tests in detecting drugs” effects.
The researchers suggest that the treatment of early symptoms of memory loss may protect the brain and help people with mild age-related memory impairment.
The finding also shows how PET offers researchers a tool for tracking the effectiveness of drugs prescribed to treat age-related cognitive decline.
The findings were presented at the “Hot Topics” poster session of the International Conference on Alzheimer’’s Disease 2008, hosted by the Alzheimer’’s Association. (ANI)
- Brain scans to detect Alzheimer's decades ahead - Jul 12, 2012
- Bilingualism can delay onset of Alzheimer's symptoms: Study - Nov 10, 2010
- Bilingualism can delay onset of Alzheimer's symptoms by 5 yrs: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Memory Loss Due To Alzheimer's Disease Can Be Cured By Sniffing Insulin: Study - Jul 19, 2010
- Tobacco-derived compound prevents memory loss in Alzheimer's - Apr 28, 2011
- Brain chemical boosts memory, could treat Alzheimer's - Jan 27, 2011
- Cheap vitamin pill halts memory loss in Alzheimer's - Sep 09, 2010
- Arthritis protein can reverse memory loss in Alzheimer's - Aug 23, 2010
- Reversing Alzheimer's gene 'blockade' restores memory - Mar 01, 2012
- Blood test to predict Alzheimer's disease on the anvil - Jul 06, 2010
- Blood test to detect Alzheimer's disease in offing - Aug 10, 2012
- Brain scans may help early detection of Alzheimer's - Apr 12, 2011
- 30-second test to predict Alzheimer's on the anvil - Nov 12, 2010
- Memory test, PET scans can help predict Alzheimer's risk - Jul 14, 2009
- Experimental anti-obesity drug cuts body weight sans side effects - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: adults, alzheimer, aricept, brain, brains, california los angeles, cognitive decline, drugs effects, hot topics, memory impairment, memory loss, memory tests, metabolism, neuropsychological tests, pet scans, placebo, poster session, university of california, university of california los angeles