Aretha Franklin polled Greatest Singer in Rock EraNovember 12th, 2008 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 12 (ANI): Aretha Franklin is the greatest singer of the rock era, according to a new poll.
Franklin, whos already the Queen of Soul, was given the new honour in the poll conducted by Rolling Stone magazine.
The second place on the list was nabbed by Ray Charles, followed by Elvis Presley at no.3 and Sam Cooke at no. 4, according to the magazine’’s survey of 179 musicians, producers, Rolling Stone editors, and other music-industry insiders.
John Lennon rounded off the top 5 of the 100 rock legends, reports China Daily.
The 100-strong list will be published on Friday, when Rolling Stone hits the newsstands with four different covers.
Besides Franklin, the only other living people in the top 10 were Bob Dylan at No. 7 and Stevie Wonder at No. 9. Marvin Gaye was No. 6, Otis Redding No. 8, and James Brown No. 10.
Other notables included Paul McCartney at No. 11, one place ahead of his idol, Little Richard; and Mick Jagger at No. 16, also one ahead of a key influence, Tina Turner. Among the top 25, 50-year-old Michael Jackson was the youngest, coming in at No. 25.
Among the top 25, 50-year-old Michael Jackson was the youngest, coming in at No. 25.
Voters included Metallica frontman James Hetfield, folk singers David Crosby and Yusuf Islam, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, punk rock veteran Iggy Pop and English pop star James Blunt. They each submitted their top 20 choices, and an accounting firm tabulated the results. (ANI)
- Jackson voted greatest singer of all time - Jun 22, 2011
- Cocktail sari for Gaga - if only! - Oct 28, 2011
- Fans crazy about Metallica, queue up for concert - Oct 28, 2011
- Aretha Franklin named ''Greatest Singer Of All Time'' - Dec 08, 2008
- Aretha Franklin Cancels Performances Till May Due To Health Issues - Nov 05, 2010
- Aretha Franklin tops 'Hottest 100 Female Singers' poll - Nov 30, 2009
- Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame to honor female artists - Feb 04, 2011
- MJ, Aretha Franklin to be inducted into hall of fame - Apr 02, 2010
- Soul Icon Aretha Franklin Suffering From Pancreatic Cancer? - Dec 09, 2010
- Rock legends unite for Hall of Fame concerts - Jul 23, 2009
- Rock music on Bieber's favourite list - Jul 04, 2012
- American Idol-Top 9 Results: Did American Get it Wrong? - Apr 08, 2011
- Eric Clapton pulls out of Rock and Roll Hall gig to undergo surgery for gallstones - Oct 28, 2009
- 'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius found dead in his house - Feb 01, 2012
- Metallica collaborates with Lou Reed - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: accounting firm, david crosby, elvis presley, english pop, folk singers, james hetfield, marvin gaye, mick jagger, music industry insiders, new poll, otis redding, punk rock, queen of soul, rock legends, rock veteran, rolling stone magazine, rolling stones guitarist, sam cooke, tina turner, yusuf islam