Archaeologists find ancient ritual site in JavaNovember 3rd, 2008 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
Jakarta, Nov 3 (ANI): A team of archeologists, which has discovered six ancient relics, a Chinese coin, and a temple foundation in a village in the island of Java, Indonesia, have unearthed what looks like an altar and ancient ritual site used for offerings.
According to a report by Tempo Interactive, the excavation was carried out in Babadan village, Kediri, East Java.
These findings confirmed our suggestion that this area was once a site for religious activities or offerings, said Ning Suryati, an archeologist from the Antiquities and Relics Conservation Agency in Trowulan, Mojokerto.
The findings were around 12 centimeters in width, length, and height.
The cubic object, which was made by a kind of rock, was used as an accessory in offering ceremonies in the ancient Hindu tradition.
Suryati suspected the temple-looking construction was an entrance door to the temple. Unfortunately, the upper part could not be found, so the team could not tell its original form and shape.
We hope these findings relate to the objects we found in Tondowongso, which we believe to be from the ancient Kediri Kingdom in the 11th century, Suryati said.
This is a discovery of importance and significance, Suryati added. (ANI)
- Recovered Ganesha statue from 12th century one of its kind in Indonesia - Apr 02, 2009
- Harappan relics found in Haryana village - Apr 12, 2012
- Statue of Lord Shiva's sacred bull found at site of ancient Hindu temple in Indonesia - Jan 07, 2010
- Temple site found in Indonesia has Hindu and Buddhist influence - Dec 16, 2009
- Hindus ask UNESCO intervention to save ancient Hindu temples from lava in Indonesia - Jan 19, 2011
- 5000 stone statues older than Terracotta warriors discovered in Hunan - Aug 19, 2010
- Stone-age rings unearthed at prehistoric sites in Central Java - Jul 15, 2009
- Cultural relics found in South China Sea - Jul 29, 2012
- Chinese relics illegally sold online - Mar 21, 2011
- Divers Excavate Sunken Ruins Of Cleopatra's City - May 26, 2010
- Dalai Lama to visit Kashmir excavation site - Nov 14, 2011
- Archeologists Find Tunnel In The Ruins Of Teotihuacan - Aug 04, 2010
- Numerical pattern found in ancient Mexican city - Oct 28, 2011
- Dabaoen Temple's miniature stupa may hold Buddha's remains - Jun 13, 2010
- Age-old Kerala fire ritual a natural purifier? - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: 11th century, ancient hindu tradition, ancient relics, ancient ritual, antiquities, archaeologists, archeologist, archeologists, centimeters, chinese coin, conservation agency, discovery, east java, excavation, jakarta, java indonesia, offerings, religious activities, temple foundation, trowulan