ArcelorMittal, Posco buy stakes in Oz mining firmJune 30th, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 30 (ANI): Global steel giants ArcelorMittal and Posco have bought stakes in Macarthur Coal, raising the possibility of a bidding war for the Australian mining company.
ArcelorMittal, the worlds largest steel maker, has increased its stake in the miner to 19.9 percent, days after talks on a possible takeover ended without a deal. Also, South Koreas steel giant Posco bought 10 percent stake in Macarthur.
ArcelorMittal increased its stake from 14.9 percent to 19.9 percent by paying 204 million dollars for an extra 5 percent from Talbot Group Holdings, owned by Macarthur founder Ken Talbot.
Posco also bought its stake from Talbot, paying 20 dollars a share. Posco said the deal was conditional upon an approval from its board meeting scheduled next month.
Posco said it planned to buy the 10 per cent stake at 20 dollars per share, but the acquisition needs the approval of Macarthur’s board; a meeting has been scheduled for July, said Posco official Ko Min-Jin.
In May, Arcelor paid 604 million dollars for a 14.9 per cent stake in Macarthur Coal, but talks with Macarthur to increase this further earlier this month ended without a deal.
The worlds biggest steelmaker said the additional 5 per cent stake was obtained from Talbot Group Holdings and amounted to 10.6 million shares at 20 dollars per share.
This brings ArcelorMittals investment in Macarthur Coal to 843 million dollars; The Australian quoted ArcelorMittal, as saying.
Ken Talbot stepped aside last week as a director of Macarthur Coal, the company he helped turn into the biggest independent miner of its type in Australia.
The latest deal is subject to approval from Australias Foreign Investment Review Board. (ANI)
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Arcelor-Mittal acquires nearly 15 percent stake of Australian coal giant Macarthur - May 21, 2008
- ArcelorMittal increases stake in Australia's Macarthur Coal - Jun 30, 2008
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- Now ArcelorMittal joins rival in joint bid for Canadian ore co. - Jan 15, 2011
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- Uttam Galva makes open offer on ArcelorMittal's behalf - Sep 09, 2009
- ArcelorMittal sticks to offer deadline as rival raises bid - Dec 30, 2010
- ArcelorMittal, partner buy more Baffinland stock - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: arcelor, arcelormittal, bidding war, board meeting, firm melbourne, foreign investment review board, global steel, jin, macarthur coal, million dollars, mining company, percent stake, posco, s board, south koreas, steel giant, steel giants, steel maker, steelmaker, talbot group