Arcelor-Mittal acquires nearly 15 percent stake of Australian coal giant MacarthurMay 21st, 2008 - 1:40 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, May 21 (ANI): Indian-owned steel conglomerate Arcelor-Mittal has acquired a 14.9 per cent stake in Australias Macarthur Coal and entered into discussions with company regarding a potential transaction.
Macarthur, the supplier of over a third of the world’s pulverised coal, said Arcelor-Mittal had “approached Macarthur Coal in respect of a potential transaction”
According to the Daily Telegraph, Arcelor-Mittal has bought its 14.9 per cent stake in Macarthur through two special crossings at 20.00 Australian dollars per share.
Shares in the company jumped 1.82 dollars or 9.9 per cent to 20.20 dollars by Wednesday morning.
Arcelor-Mittal produced about 116 million tonnes of crude steel in 2007, representing about ten per cent of world steel output. Macarthur was in the headlines last month after the company revealed a third party regarding a takeover had approached it.
Market speculation suggests Xstrata, Brazilian miner Vale the world’s largest producer of iron ore and Rio Tinto and private US coal group AIMS as having approached Macarthur founder Ken Talbot about his 24 per cent stake in the company.
Macarthur Coal produces pulverised or coking coal, which is used in the production of steel, and thermal coal, used to generate electricity. (ANI)
- ArcelorMittal increases stake in Australia's Macarthur Coal - Jun 30, 2008
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal, Posco buy stakes in Oz mining firm - Jun 30, 2008
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- Arcelor-Mittal targets global iron ore and coking coal lock-up - May 23, 2008
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- India follows China in grab for Australia's minerals - May 22, 2008
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- ArcelorMittal bid goes before Canadian regulators - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: arcelor, arcelor mittal, australian coal, australian dollars, coking coal, conglomerate, crossings, crude steel, daily telegraph, iron ore, macarthur coal, market speculation, percent stake, production of steel, rio tinto, share shares, steel output, thermal coal, wednesday morning, world steel