Apunba Lup holds torch rallies in Manipur over fake encounter killingsAugust 6th, 2009 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Aug 6 (ANI): Defying a curfew imposed by the Manipur Government, women protesters of the Apunba Lup, a conglomerate of civil society organisations, organised torch rallies on Wednesday night and burnt an effigy of State Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh.
Police had to resort to tear gas shelling to disperse protesters late in the night. There were scuffles between security personnel and the women torch bearers, who are locally known as Meira Paibis, at many places. The protesting women used bamboo torches. The rallies began at 8:00 p.m.
An indefinite curfew was imposed across the city on Tuesday following widespread violence.
Okram Ibobi Singh had earlier ordered the suspension of six police commandos and a judicial probe into fake encounter killings of July 23.
Meanwhile, the United Committee of Manipur (UCM) has submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat demanding the removal of Okram Ibobi Singh.
The protests were sparked off by the killing of a pregnant woman and a suspected militant in a shootout near the state legislature building in Imphal. Five were injured in the shootout.
The protesters in the state are demanding stringent action against the police commandos who were involved in the shootout. (ANI)
- Apunba Lup now dares to take out torch rally in curfew bound Imphal - Aug 05, 2009
- Activists submit a memorandum about 'fake encounters' to Manipur Governor - Aug 11, 2009
- Indefinite curfew imposed in Imphal - Aug 05, 2009
- Normal life badly affected in Manipar on first day of general strike - Aug 18, 2009
- Manipur schools, colleges to open after four months - Jan 08, 2010
- Curfew re-imposed in Imphal over fake encounter killings - Aug 11, 2009
- Ibobi heads for Delhi to meet Congress leadership - Mar 08, 2012
- Manipur Peoples Party stage protest in Manipur - Aug 22, 2009
- Meira Paibis' link with militant outfits exposed - Oct 06, 2010
- Manipur schools reopen after six months - Jan 12, 2010
- Prices soar in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 23, 2011
- Activists take out a torch rally against "fake encounters" - Aug 23, 2009
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Indefinite curfew relaxed for nine hours in Imphal - Aug 12, 2009
- Parties demand President's Rule in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: chief minister, civil society organisations, conglomerate, curfew, dr manmohan singh, effigy, government women, judicial probe, killings, lup, manipur, manmohan, manmohan singh, police commandos, pregnant woman, security personnel, state chief, state legislature, stringent action, torch bearers