Appliance industry booms ahead of Tamil Nadu pollsApril 1st, 2011 - 2:02 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Apr 1 (ANI): Ahead of April 13 Tamil Nadu assembly elections, the appliance industry in Coimbatore booms after politicians promised to gift them to voters.
The ruling Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and main opposition All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) have promised free wet grinders, mixers, fans and laptops to the voters if voted to power.
Krishnamoorthy, a wet grinder manufacturer, said the DMK and the AIADMK has announced distribution of free wet grinders to gain more votes.
“This will lead to an estimated demand of more than two crore units. This could be done by a particular firm and we all have to manufacture it together,” said Krishnamoorthy.
Sakthi, the President of the Wet Grinders and Accessories Manufacturer’s Association of Coimbatore, said they would need a greater workforce to meet the targets promised by the political parties.
“At present, we have a workforce of 30,000 people associated with the industry. But if the free scheme (programme) is implemented, then we would need double the workforce,” said Sakthi.
In 2006 the DMK promised free colour televisions to the poor in the state and later extended the programme to all ration-cardholders.
A total of 2,773 candidates will contest for seats in 234 Tamil Nadu Assembly constituencies. (ANI)
- Free grinders, mixies in Tamil Nadu polls leave traders apprehensive - Mar 27, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Tamil Nadu tender to grind out small grinder makers - Jun 17, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran lauds Karunanidhi during poll campaign - Apr 09, 2011
- With AIADMK win, voters eye freebies of laptops, gold mangalsutra - May 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's wet grinder industry grinds to a one day halt - Jul 21, 2011
- Jayalalithaa offers 20 litres of water, 20 kg of free rice to BPL families in Tamil Nadu - Mar 24, 2011
- Security tightened ahead of Tamil Nadu polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Poll panel should go further to curb money power: BJP - Apr 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu asks mixer makers to state concerns in tender - Jun 22, 2011
- Kanimozhi slams opposition for making false promises - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, appliance industry, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, booms, cardholders, colour televisions, crore, dmk, dravida munnetra kazhagam, free colour, laptops, mixers, opposition, political parties, politicians, targets, wet grinder, wet grinders, workforce