Antony visits forward posts in KashmirJuly 30th, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 29 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony visited a forward post in the Kupwara sector on the final day of his two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir and interacted with the soldiers deployed there.
Antony was accompanied by the army chief Gen Bikram Singh, Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma, Northern Army commander, Lt.Gen. K.T. Parnaik and other senior military and civil officials, said a defence spokesman.
“Antony was briefed about the infiltration pattern of militants in the sector and the measures being taken by the army to prevent such attempts. Antony spent some time with the troops and asked about their welfare,” the spokesman said in a statement.
“He asked them about the quality of rations, clothing and shoes they were getting and whether they were satisfied with it.”
The defence ministry has taken several measures in the last few years to improve the quality of supplies to the troops posted in remote locations.
The minister has since returned to New Delhi, according to the statement.
- Antony calls for better synergy among security forces in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Defence secretary visits LOC in Kashmir - Sep 05, 2011
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Antony in Jammu and Kashmir to review security - Jul 28, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Push for army's combat chopper demand - Jul 02, 2012
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: antony, army chief, army commander, bikram singh, civil officials, defence minister, defence ministry, defence secretary, defence spokesman, forward post, infiltration, kant, kashmir, militants, New Delhi, northern army, rations, shashi, srinagar, welfare