Antony to visit Saudi Arabia, QatarMay 4th, 2011 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 4 (ANI): In an endeavor to boost bilateral defence cooperation between India and its important partners in the Gulf, Defence Minister AK Antony will embark on a three-day visit to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, beginning Saturday.
Antony will be accompanied by Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt General AS Lamba and other senior officials of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and the Armed Forces during his visit to the gulf nations.
In the first leg of his visit to Riyadh, Antony will have meetings with the top Saudi leadership on issues of bilateral and regional importance.
The visit aims at paving the way for enhanced defence interactions between the Armed Forces of the two countries, especially in areas of training and technical exchanges.
India and Saudi Arabia have been having regular exchange of defence related visits and interactions. Indian and Saudi ships have also been visiting each other’s ports from time to time.
Antony will visit Doha in the second leg of his visit during which expansion in bilateral exchanges and regional security issues will come up prominently during the discussions with the Qatari leadership.
India and Qatar had signed a bilateral agreement on defence cooperation during the visit of the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to Doha in November 2008.
The Indian and Qatari Armed Forces have also been exchanging visits and have participated as observers in each other’s exercises from time to time.
During his sojourn in Riyadh and Doha, Antony will also be meeting representatives of the large Indian community in both the nations. (ANI)
- Antony to visit Saudi Arabia, Qatar May 7-9 - May 03, 2011
- Indian defence minister leaves for Saudi Arabia - Feb 13, 2012
- India, Saudi Arabia to set up joint defence panel (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- In a first, Antony goes to Saudi Arabia on key defence visit - Feb 11, 2012
- India-Saudi Arabia to enhance defence cooperation - Sep 10, 2012
- Saudi offer to hike crude exports to India - Feb 14, 2012
- Antony's visit: India, Saudi Arabia seek stronger ties - Feb 15, 2012
- India-Saudi ties poised for upsurge after Jundal handover (News Analysis) - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- Antony postpones visit to Saudi Arabia, Qatar - May 06, 2011
- Saudi Arabia, Bahrain discuss bilateral relations - Aug 01, 2012
- China, Saudi Arabia vow to enhance ties - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani to talk Afghan peace in Qatar (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Antony leaves for Japan to further defence relations - Nov 01, 2011
- Saudi parliamentary delegation in India - May 07, 2012
Tags: antony, army staff, bilateral agreement, bilateral exchanges, chief of army, defence cooperation, defence minister, defence secretary, dr manmohan singh, important partners, lamba, lt general, manmohan, manmohan singh, pradeep kumar, regional importance, regional security issues, saudi arabia, technical exchanges, vice chief