Antony says special naval force to secure Indias coastlineFebruary 28th, 2009 - 4:13 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Kochi, Feb 28 (ANI): In wake of last year’’s terror attacks on Mumbai and the failure of on the part coastal security to nab the perpetrators, the Indian Navy will create a new specialized force called the Sagar Prahari Bal to protect naval bases, assets and the island territories of India.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony said the Government has taken a number of steps to strengthen maritime security agencies like the Navy and the Coast Guard by increasing their assets like manpower, ships, boats, helicopters, aircrafts, boats, etc.
The Sagar Prahari Bal will comprise of 1000 personnel and will have 80 Fast Interception crafts for sea front patrolling, Antony told reporters on the sidelines of the Keel laying ceremony of the first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Navt at the Cochin Shipyard Limited.
Antony announced that the Indian Navy would now take charge of the overall maritime security, including that of coastal and island security.
He further said that four joint Operation Centres would be set up at Kochi, Port Blair, Mumbai and Visakhapatnam. (ANI)
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- India signs Rs.300-cr deal for interceptor boats - Oct 17, 2011
- 80 interceptor boats for Indian Navy - Jun 30, 2011
- Coast Guard to be largest water protection force by 2018 - Sep 27, 2011
- Indian Navy begins training coastal patrol force - Jan 11, 2010
- Defence shipyards lose out to private players: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- Coast Guard commissions new station in Gujarat - May 19, 2011
- India to base anti-piracy patrol plane in Maldives - Oct 18, 2011
- Lack of cohesion among maritime agencies led to Mumbai attacks: Navy Chief - Dec 02, 2010
- Indian Navy plans base in Lakshadweep - Jan 23, 2011
- Two Coast Guard stations established in Arabian Sea to safeguard India's interest - Dec 24, 2010
- Op Geronimo aftermath: India conducts security review - May 12, 2011
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- Top naval commanders review coastal security, anti-piracy operations - May 24, 2011
- Coast guard to triple fleet size by 2020 - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: aircraft carrier, aircrafts, antony, defence minister, indian navy, island territories, keel, kochi, maritime security, naval bases, navt, perpetrators, port blair, praful, sagar, sea front, security agencies, shipyard, sidelines, terror attacks