Antony plays down Chinese border incursionsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
“So, these kinds of incursions take place on both sides. I don’t think there is anything serious,’ he added. ntony’s remark follows recent assessment by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), whose Director General VK Joshi admitted that in the past one year Chinese troops carried out 141 border incursions, which makes it one border incursion by Beijing every three days.
Though these incursions never reached a ‘flashpoint’, Joshi said that diplomatic channels are now handling the issue.
The special representatives talks between India and China led by National Security Advisor M K Narayanan and Chinese Vice-Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo to resolve the contentious border issue has not moved ahead in spite of several rounds of talks.
Earlier, a parliamentarian hailing from Arunachal Pradesh had claimed that Chinese had incurred into Indian territory in the Tawang region. Though Indian Foreign Ministry and the Army quickly refuted this, it failed to stop the onset of a new chill in the diplomatic relations between two countries.
A joint army exercise has also failed to take off after a last minute cancellation of Chinese official’s visit to New Delhi, where the two sides were expected to finalise the schedule. The exercise now remains indefinitely postponed.
Chinese attitude to the 123-agreement between India and the US that would help New Delhi to get nuclear fuel supplies for its civilian nuclear plants has further dampened the relationship between two Asian giants, according to strategic analysts. (ANI)
- India protested Chinese troops damaging wall in Tawang: Antony - Dec 21, 2011
- Himachal steps up vigil along China border - Jan 11, 2011
- ITBP rules out Khandu chopper crossing border - May 02, 2011
- India admits to unpleasant 'situations' along China border - Nov 30, 2011
- Chinese intrusion: Dhumal writes to Manmohan Singh - Mar 25, 2012
- Show patience in resolving border issue, China advises India - Jun 27, 2012
- India, China to resume joint military exercises (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Chinese incursion issues are resolved amicably: India - Sep 29, 2011
- India, China to launch new border mechanism soon - Oct 05, 2011
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- India gets serious, NSA calls meet over Chinese incursions - Sep 16, 2009
- Arunachal Pradesh accuses China of incursions - Sep 22, 2010
- No report of Chinese incursion in Kashmir: Antony - Sep 05, 2012
- China betrayed friendship, says Farooq on reported Chinese incursion - Jan 10, 2011
- Search continues for missing Arunachal CM along Indo-Bhutan border - May 02, 2011
Tags: antony, army, arunachal pradesh, asian giants, china, chinese border, chinese official, chinese troops, chinese vice, contentious, diplomatic channels, exercise, indefinitely, India, itbp, minute cancellation, New Delhi, parliamentarian, perception, tibetan border