Antony in Jammu and Kashmir to review securityJuly 28th, 2012 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Saturday arrived in Jammu and Kashmir on a two-day visit to review the security situation in the border state.
Indian Army chief General Bikram Singh and Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma are accompanying Antony to Srinagar, a defence ministry spokesperson said.
The minister is also scheduled to visit forward areas in the state close to the Line of Control with Pakistan, and interact with the troops.
“Apart from visiting forward areas and interacting with the troops, the minister will also meet with security top brass and civilian officials to discuss the present situation in the state. He will also attend a meeting of the unified headquarters to review the security situation. He will be briefed about the security measures and the ground situation in the state,” the official said.
Antony is also scheduled to meet Chief Minister Omar Abdullah. They are likely to discuss the issue of partial withdrawal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), an issue that will also figure at the unified headquarters meet.
The defence minister is visiting Srinagar and other parts of the state after a gap of one-and-half years.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
- Army chief visiting Jammu and Kashmir Friday - Jun 14, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Antony reviews security situation - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Can Kashmir afford Omar-army confrontation? (Kashmir Newsletter) - Nov 13, 2011
- Farooq backs 'boss' Omar on AFSPA - Nov 17, 2011
- Antony calls for better synergy among security forces in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- No chopper this time, Chidambaram takes busy road in normal Srinagar - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar general to visit India - Jul 20, 2012
- Push for army's combat chopper demand - Jul 02, 2012
- Antony visits forward posts in Kashmir - Jul 30, 2012
- A K Antony to visit Jammu today - Jan 12, 2010
Tags: antony, army chief, asian news, bikram singh, border state, chief general, chief minister, civilian officials, defence minister, defence ministry, defence secretary, forward areas, ground situation, indian army, jammu and kashmir, partial withdrawal, security measures, security situation, shashi, top brass