Anti-Israel protests continue in IndiaJanuary 11th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Kolkata, Jan 11 (ANI): People here took to streets against Israeli attacks on Gaza killing hundreds of innocent Palestinian civilians.
The protesters condemned the attacks and blamed Israel for violating human rights.
One of the protesters said India should cut diplomatic ties with the Jewish state. “Our country should de-recognise Israel. All Israel embassies should be closed. We want the Indian Government to stop paying lip service and tell Israel that if it continued defying United Nations resolution, its embassies will be closed in New Delhi,” said Rasheed Qureshi, Advocate, Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, in Kolkata, student and youth wings of the Left parties staged demonstrations against the Israeli attack on Gaza.
Members of the Democratic Youth Federation (DYFI), the Student Federation of India (SFI), the youth wing and the student wing of the Communist Party of India CPI (M) and other organisations took part in the agitation. “Israel should stop bombing Gaza strip and Palestine. We are against imperialism. This is our main demand,” said Koustabh Chatterjee, state secretary of the SFI.
About 530 Palestinians have been killed among whom at least a quarter happen to be civilians, since Israel launched its offensive on December 27 to curtail Hamas” rocket attacks on its territory from Gaza.
Israel has accused Hamas of taking shelter among the civilian population and using sites such as mosques and schools as military posts. (ANI)
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Palestinian armed groups vow to attack Israeli targets - Sep 03, 2010
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Students protest against Israeli offensive in Gaza - Jan 05, 2009
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
- CPI-M's youth, student wings protest CWG corruption - Aug 05, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Four Israelis killed in West Bank attack (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: civilian population, communist party of india, democratic youth, diplomatic ties, gaza strip, indian government, israeli attack, israeli attacks, jewish state, left parties, lip service, military posts, palestinian civilians, qureshi, rocket attacks, sfi, state secretary, student federation, united nations resolution, youth federation