Ansari meets Gayoom and New President NasheedNovember 11th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
Male (Maldives), Nov.11 (ANI): Visiting Indian Vice President M. Hamid Ansari met former Maldivian President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom at his private residence here on Tuesday.
Gayoom was the president of Maldives for almost 30 years. Ansari will also meet his successor Mohammed Anni Nasheed at President office and holds talks on a wide range of issues.
Forty-one-year-old Nasheed defeated Gayoom in the first ever democratic presidential polls in the island nations last month.
Nasheed’’s victory marks a watershed in the history of Maldives where a ban on opposition parties was effective till 2004.
India considers Maldives a very important bilateral partner. Ansari’’s visit underlines India’’s desire to build stronger ties with this strategically important country.
The Rajiv Gandhi government had sent troops to beat off Sri Lankan mercenaries who tried to oust Gayoom in a failed coup in 1988.
India then responded swiftly by airlifting a battalion of paratroopers, while the Indian Navy sealed off all exits at sea. (ANI)
- Maldivian President Waheed to make first ever visit to India - May 10, 2012
- Refused military offers of a counter-coup: Ex-Maldivian president - Apr 18, 2012
- Nasheed 'happy' with India's approach: Ex-minister - Feb 16, 2012
- PM pledges support to new Maldivian president - Feb 08, 2012
- Maldives' ex-president Gayoom returns to homeland - Mar 06, 2012
- Mathai in Maldives for talks amid deepening crisis (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Nasheed disappointed with India, says Maldives ex-foreign minister (Interview) (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Nasheed disappointed with India, says Maldives ex-foreign minister (Interview) - Feb 12, 2012
- Maldives crisis deepens, India pushes for political deal (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2012
- Ousted Maldives president coming to press for early polls - Apr 11, 2012
- Maldives president quits after protests (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- US concerned over protests in Male - Mar 01, 2012
- India should be worried over Maldives turmoil: Expert - Feb 09, 2012
- Maldives crisis festers, India pushes for political deal (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Maldives president wants to meet (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: anni, battalion, coup, democratic presidential polls, desire, hamid ansari, indian navy, maumoon abdul gayoom, mercenaries, mohammed, new president, opposition parties, paratroopers, president office, private residence, rajiv gandhi, sri lankan, vice president, victory, watershed