Ansari inaugurates Indo-Myanmar optical fiber linkFebruary 8th, 2009 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravi Shankar
Yangon, Feb. 8 (ANI): Visiting Indian Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari on Sunday inaugurated integral trans-border optical fiber communication link between India and Myanmar.
The first call on this line was made by Myanmars Communication, Post and Telegraph Minister Thein Zaw, who called up his Indian counterpart, A. Raja from Mandalay in Ansaris presence.
This service establishes a communication link between Moreh in Manipur and Mandalay in Myanmar. An agreement for this project was signed in 2006 during Myanmars Vice Senior General Maung Ayes visit to India.
The Indian Government has given a seven million dollar Letter of Credit to Myanmar for this purpose. The 500 kilometer long optical fiber link would facilitate better communication and broadband connectivity.
India and Myanmar have also signed a pact for an international communication service. Ansari will return to New Delhi on Sunday afternoon after completing a four day visit to Myanmar. (ANI)
- India, Myanmar sign telecommunication cooperation pact - Feb 08, 2009
- Ahead of PM's visit India-Myanmar bus cleared - May 24, 2012
- Manmohan Singh in Myanmar: An Indian PM's visit after 25 years (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Myanmar (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- PM's Myanmar agenda: Imphal-Mandalay bus link, trade (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- India, Myanmar to be better connected, have more trade (Fourth Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Doing trade, driving down to Myanmar just got easier - May 30, 2012
- Use northeast as springboard to Myanmar: Nagaland CM - Jan 30, 2012
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna visiting Myanmar to engage civilian government - Jun 19, 2011
- Trade, connectivity top PM's Myanmar agenda - May 24, 2012
- Manmohan, Thein Sein embark on 'new journey' (Third Lead) - May 28, 2012
Tags: ayes, broadband connectivity, communication link, communication service, fiber link, indian counterpart, indian government, international communication, letter of credit, mandalay, manipur, maung, mohammad hamid ansari, moreh, optical fiber communication, president mohammad, raja, ravi shankar, thein, zaw