Ansar Burney to file fresh mercy petition for SarabjitJune 24th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 24(ANI): Ansar Burney, the leading Pakistani Human Rights activist on Wednesday said that he would file a fresh mercy petition to Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on behalf of Sarabjit Singh on Thursday.
“Now, I am going to file a fresh Mercy petition before the President of Pakistan tomorrow, June 25, and from my side I am confident that I will not allow Pakistan Government to hang an innocent person only on the basis that he is Non-Muslim or Indian national,” Ansar Burney said.
“How a court, if there is any justice in that court, can punish a person to hang without providing him any lawyer and in a case where the prisoner already spent 18 long years in a death cell that is more than a life sentence?” Burney added.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sarabjit Singh ’s petition to review his death sentence was rejected by Pakistan’s Supreme Court.
Sarabjit has been on death row in Pakistan since he was convicted for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in 1990 in different cities of Pakistan’s Punjab that killed 14 people, but Sarabjit’s family insists that he was wrongly convicted.
The civil rights activist condemned the decision of the Supreme Court on the review petition. (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Delay on Bhullar's mercy plea no cruelty, apex court told - Oct 19, 2011
- SC slams Punjab government for 'drama' in Rajoana case - Mar 29, 2012
- '18 Pakistani PoWs still awaiting release after 39 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- President rejects mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Sarabjit's village protests Pakistan's apex court judgement - Jun 25, 2009
- What if we had passed resolution on Guru, asks Omar - Aug 31, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Apex court commences hearing in mercy petition cases - Mar 27, 2012
- Bhullar plea: Jurists divided on abolishing death penalty - Nov 20, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Nov 29 - Oct 28, 2011
- Mirwaiz warns of serious fallout if Afzal is hanged - Aug 12, 2011
- Mercy plea: SC poser on right of crime's victim - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: ansar burney, asif ali zardari, bomb blasts, cities of pakistan, civil rights activist, death cell, death row, death sentence, human rights activist, innocent person, june 24, lawyer, life sentence, mercy petition, muslim, New Delhi, pakistan government, president of pakistan, punjab, sarabjit singh