Another ragging incident jolts India, this time in Tamil NaduApril 12th, 2009 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kochi/Coimbatore, Apr 12 (ANI): Ragging continues to be a menace in colleges despite severe stricture passed by the Supreme Court to ban it.
Another shocking incident has come to light this time in Tamil Nadu. The incident dates back to March 8, a day after the medical student succumbed to injuries inflicted by his seniors at a private-run institute in Himachal Pradesh.A 19-year old fresher at the PSG College of Arts and Science in Coimbatore was ragged brutally, nearly losing his eye.
Akil Dev is now recuperating at his home in Kochi, and has underwent two operations in the eyes so far.
The victim describes the incident as a nightmare, hoping that no one goes through such trauma.
“They pushed me against the wall, pressed me against the wall and hit me. Anchamal, mainly Anchamal, hit me with his elbow. Both my eyes started rushing in blood. It was so red that it caused hemorrhage and then they started to throw me out of the building,” said Dev.
The seniors had allegedly asked Akil to undress and lick their shoes. They had even demanded a sum of rupees 3,000 from him.
College officials said they have suspended the students involved even though the incident took place outside the college premises.
“We received the complaint on March 9 from the parents of the students who have been hurt. We told them that since it has happened outside, if you wish you can give the complaint to the police or if you want us to deal with the matter we would like to go through enquiry. However, based on your complaint, we are immediately suspending the five boys you have implicated”, said Sheela Ramachandran, Principal.
Police in Coimbatore have registered a complaint and are investigating the matter. (ANI)
- Goa medical college ragging not a serious issue: Minister - Sep 05, 2010
- Day one at DU: New students get a feel of campus - Jul 23, 2012
- Goa Medical College forms panel to probe ragging - Aug 23, 2010
- College student partially blinded after ragging (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Three engineering students expelled for ragging in Bihar - Dec 28, 2011
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- College student partially blinded after ragging - Apr 11, 2009
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- Fresher assaulted, stripped in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 08, 2010
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- Women police, CCTV to prevent ragging on campus - Jul 19, 2010
- Kirori Mal College expels 2 students involved in ragging - Aug 03, 2009
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: college officials, colleges, elbow, hemorrhage, himachal pradesh, India, jolts, kochi, medical student, nightmare, premises, psg college of arts and science, rupees, seniors, shocking incident, shoes, stricture, supreme court, trauma, undress