Another militant killed in Kashmir’s Gurez sectorAugust 25th, 2011 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 24 (IANS) Another militant was killed n north Kashmir’s Gurez sector of the Line of Control (LoC) where the army gunned down a dozen infiltrating guerrillas last week and is still engaged in search operations for others who might have escaped, a defence statement said Wednesday.
“On Aug 23, after a brief gunfight, the army was able to eliminate another terrorist near Bagtor village while conducting search operations,” a defence spokesman here said in the statement.
“The terrorist fired indiscriminately on being cornered. The alert troops immediately returned the fire, resulting in the elimination of the terrorist. The operations were still on when the reports last came,” he said.
“Based on intelligence inputs from army, police and intelligence agencies on Aug 19-20, the alert troops deployed in remote and hostile terrain of Gurez foiled a major infiltration bid and killed up to 12 terrorists.”
The spokesman further said in another gunfight, two separatist guerrillas were eliminated in the dense jungle of Handwara in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district.
“On night of Aug 21, based on inputs regarding movement of some terrorists in the area, joint ambushes of police and the army were laid in the jungle,” the statement said.
“In two separate encounters yesterday (Tuesday), two hardcore foreign terrorists were eliminated, and a large quantity of war-like stores were recovered.”
The spokesman said massive searches are continuing in the forests of Handwara.
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Woman dies in Kashmir crossfire - Aug 22, 2011
- Army kills two terrorists in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Seven guerrillas, soldier killed in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2010
- Eight militants killed in two Kashmir gun fights (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Army officer cremated with full military honours - Aug 22, 2011
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Two intruders killed as army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Apr 04, 2010
- Six terrorists killed on Kashmir border - May 12, 2012
- Nine infiltrators killed, gunfight still on - Aug 30, 2010
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid, two intruders killed - May 26, 2010
Tags: army, defence spokesman, dense jungle, foreign terrorists, forests, hostile terrain, indiscriminately, infiltration, intelligence agencies, kashmir, kupwara district, loc, north kashmir, search operations, separatist guerrillas, terrorist