Another gunfight breaks out in KashmirApril 7th, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 7 (IANS) A gunfight broke out between separatist guerrillas and security forces in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Police said troops of 21 Rashtriya Rifles, 1 Para regiment of the Indian Army and local police were fired upon in Zachaldara area of north Kashmir’s Rajwar forests in Kupwara district, 78 km from here.
“Security forces moved in when reports of a group of four to five militants hiding in the forest area of Zachaldara (Rajwar) were received,” a police officer said.
“The security personnel came under heavy automatic gunfire from the hiding militants thus triggering a gunfight which is still on in the area,” the police officer added.
In an exclusive interview to IANS, Union Home Secretary G.K. Pillai had said that since January this year there had been 60 infiltration attempts by guerrillas, 35 gun battles between security forces and the guerrillas besides 40 other militancy-related incidents.
He also ruled out any troop reduction from Kashmir for further six months because of the heightened guerrilla activities here.
- Gunfight in north Kashmir - Jun 30, 2012
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfights - Mar 28, 2012
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Gunfight between security forces, guerrillas in Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- Gunfight between guerrillas, security forces in Kashmir - May 25, 2011
- Seven guerrillas, soldier killed in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2010
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- One guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 02, 2012
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Policeman injured in Kashmir gunfight - Dec 10, 2010
- Gunfight in Kashmir - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: automatic gunfire, forest area, guerrilla, gun battles, gunfight, home secretary, indian army, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, militants, north kashmir, pillai, police officer, rashtriya rifles, security forces, security personnel, separatist guerrillas, srinagar, wednesday afternoon