Another bomb scare near Bangalore’s M. Chinnaswamy StadiumApril 18th, 2010 - 2:13 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Apr 18 (ANI): One more explosive was found outside Gate Number One of Bangalore’s M. Chinnaswamy Stadium on Sunday.
Earlier this morning, a suspicious object was found near the Gandhi Murti outside the stadium.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which was monitoring the situation, recovered a second suspicious object, reports said.
Security experts and sniffer dogs are scouting the blast site for fresh clues. The area has been cordoned off.
Union Home Secretary G K Pillai said:”It was a very low-intensity explosive that was used in one and in the second blast, even smaller quantity was used where no injury took place. From all available information we have people have suffered minor injuries, very minor injuries, and the police are investigating.”
“We will have to wait for sometime till the investigation is over,” he added.
At least 12 people were wounded in the incidents on Saturday, which caused an hour’s delay in the Indian Premier League (IPL) match between Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers of Bangalore.
Roughly 20,000 people had packed into the stadium and hundreds more were streaming in when a loud explosion at Gate Number 12 rattled nearby buildings.
The first explosion occurred at 3:15 p.m. and the second 20 minutes later.
The explosives were found in bushes.
Preliminary forensic investigation revealed that the explosive was an ammonium nitro glycerine gelatin stick. It was detonated with the help of a microchip timer.
The match that was scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. started after an hour delay till it became clear there were no more bombs. (ANI)
- Suspicious object found outside Bangalore's M. Chinnaswamy Stadium - Apr 18, 2010
- National Investigating Agency begins probe into Bangalore blasts - Apr 20, 2010
- Yeddyuruppa objects to BCCI shifting IPL semi-finals out of Bangalore - Apr 19, 2010
- IPL semi-finals shifted to Navi Mumbai - Apr 18, 2010
- Bangalore Blast: Home Ministry expresses unhappiness with Karnataka Police - Apr 19, 2010
- Two explosive devices found at Bangalore stadium (Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- Two crude bombs found near Bangalore cricket stadium (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- 'Anti-sabotage checks not made outside Bangalore stadium' - Apr 21, 2010
- Two blasts before Bangalore IPL match, five injured (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Crude bomb found near Bangalore cricket stadium - Apr 18, 2010
- Two explosions at Bangalore cricket stadium injures 10 (Fourth lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Third explosive device defused at Bangalore cricket stadium (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- IM operative arrested in Kolkata - Apr 12, 2012
- Two blasts in Pakistan city - Feb 09, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh on alert after Delhi blast - May 25, 2011
Tags: ammonium, bomb scare, bushes, challengers, chinnaswamy stadium bangalore, first explosion, forensic investigation, gandhi, glycerine, home secretary, investigation agency, loud explosion, microchip, minor injuries, murti, national investigation, nearby buildings, pillai, security experts, sniffer dogs