Another batch of 1672 pilgrims leaves for Amarnath shrineJuly 2nd, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 2 (ANI): Another batch of 1672 pilgrims left for the Amarnath yatra from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar early this morning.
The pilgrimage is being held amid large scale protests and violence against the cancellation of the land allotment order to the Sri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
According to official sources, the devotees, including 273 women and 49 children, left in a convoy of 53 vehicles at around 5:00 a.m. They were escorted by a group of CRPF personnel.
A total of 34,282 pilgrims have so far left the shrine. The first batch left on June 17.
Meanwhile, the yatra has so far been suspended four times due to bad weather and heavy rush of pilgrims on June 20, 25, 27 and 29. The two-month long yatra will conclude on August 16.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the pilgrimage to ensure the safety of the pilgrims. The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- How to trek to Amarnath cave? Shrine board tells you how - Jul 07, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, convoy, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, heavy rush, kilometres, land allotment, pilgrimage, pilgrims, protests, security forces, security setup, shrine board